The Palos Verdes Library District is an active participant in Interlibrary Loan (ILL), a process by which different library systems share their resources with one another.
Interlibrary Loan Information
Anyone with a valid PVLD library card can use our Interlibrary Loan service to request materials not found in PVLD’s collections.
How to request an ILL
- From the PVLD website, click on Research & Learn
- Click on WorldCat.
- Search for the desired title.
- Click on Request Item
- You will be directed to a sign-in page to enter your library card barcode and PIN
- Complete the request form and click Submit Request
- A valid email address and phone number is required to use Interlibrary Loan borrowing.
- Click Submit.
- You will be notified as soon as your ILL materials are ready for pickup. If you have not received a notification, the materials have not arrived at PVLD.
Sign in to your Interlibrary Loan account
- A non-refundable request fee of $2 is assessed per ILL at time of request
- This fee is for the Interlibrary Loan search only, and is assessed regardless of whether or not the material is available. If we are unable to find an available copy for you, contact the Reference Desk for help with possible alternatives.
- PVLD makes every effort to borrow from lenders who do not charge additional fees. However, sometimes requested material may only be available at libraries who charge additional fees. These fees can vary in amount and are passed on to the requestor, but only with the requestor's prior approval.
- $0.15 per page: Copies of articles, payable at the time of pickup.
- $5.00 fee: materials ordered and received, but not picked up.
- $3.00 per day per item Overdue fines for ILL materials
- $7.50 per reel: Genealogy microfilm from the Family History Library
For additional Interlibrary Loan assistance, visit the reference desks at any PVLD library, or call (310) 377-9584, ext. 239.
How long does ILL take?
Requests are processed 1-2 days after you submit your request.
It can take another 1-2 days for the lender to process and mail your request.
One week to 10 days for loans filled from local public libraries
10 days to 3 weeks for out-of-area lenders, such as a university or non-California libraries.
Can I track the progress of my request?
Yes, by logging on to your Interlibrary Loan account and viewing your Outstanding Requests.
How will I know when my materials arrive?
You will be notified as soon as your ILL materials are ready for pickup based on the preference you provided. If you have not received a notification, the materials have not arrived at PVLD.
To verify or change your notification preference, log into your account and update your communication preferences.
Where do I pick up my materials?
Most ILL items can be picked up at any of our locations. When submitting your request, select the location that is convenient for you. Microfilm and non-circulating items must be viewed at the Peninsula Center Library. Please do not remove any paperwork or labels from loaned items.
How long may I keep my materials?
Due dates vary since they are set by the lending libraries. Specific due dates are written on the blue or yellow book bands that identify Interlibrary Loan items. Please do not remove these bands.
Please remember that items must be returned on or before the due date. This is true no matter when items are picked up.
Can Interlibrary Loan materials be renewed?
No. ILL materials must be returned on or before the due date. If more time is needed, the item may be re-requested from another library.
Where do I return my materials?
ILL materials can be returned to any of our PVLD locations.
Are my requests saved?
Yes. Log on to your account and click on Interlibrary Loan Requests.
Who do I contact with problems or questions?
Contact the Interlibrary Loan Department via email at email@example.com, or call 310-377-9584, ext 239
Information for Borrowing Libraries