Local History Serials
Titles which are, or were, published on a regular basis comprise the serials portion of the Local History collection. The Palos Verdes Bulletin was the earliest publication, an 8-page newsletter containing text and photographs, printed from 1924 to 1931 to keep early residents informed about the new development’s progress. Business conditions forced its closure for a year, after which it appeared again in reduced format from 1932 to 1933. Another new design which included advertising ran only from 1941 to 1942. It is currently a 4-page newsletter, published twice a year by the Palos Verdes Homes Association.
The Palos Verdes Social Review (later the Palos Verdes Review) was a monthly magazine which focused on the social activity of the Peninsula between 1962 and 1993. Special columns usually featured a particular person, a house, or an event. Along with the Peninsula People magazine (1996 to present), these three titles are in bound volumes and partially indexed.
The serials collection also includes telephone books from as early as 1932, when entries for the Palos Verdes Peninsula and all of the beach cities filled a book only an eighth of an inch thick.
Located just outside the Local History Room is microfilm of the Palos Verdes Peninsula News, dating back to its beginning in 1937.