The Ephemera collection is an eclectic mix of loose-leaf materials such as, pamphlets, flyers, letters, brochures, real estate promotionals, snapshots, newspaper anniversary supplements, bulletins, and other miscellany related to the Palos Verdes Peninsula, its institutions, organizations, and environs. Among these are copies of the original PV Project deed restrictions, materials collected during the Marineland years, and papers related to the school district reorganization and the formation of Rancho Palos Verdes.
Of particular interest in this section are the time capsule letters written first by the Malaga Cove 8th grade Class of 1940 to the Class of 1965, by the Class of 1965 to the Class of 1990, and by the Class of 1990, whose letter was planned to be opened by the Class of 2015. Unfortunately the school closed in 1991. Also part of the ephemera section is interesting information about San Pedro, as published in the San Pedro Bay Historical Society Newsletter titled Shoreline from 1978 to 2001.
Special collections in the ephemera boxes include the Begonia Farm gardening newsletters, detailed information about the Sepulveda families and other Californios, plus the papers of E.G. Lewis, the investment manager of the Palos Verdes Project who was dismissed in 1922 under suspicion of fraud. The Lewis Collection is especially important as it includes some of the earliest photos of the Peninsula currently available.
Another unique collection known as the Bixby Papers is a record of the numerous land transactions pertaining to the original Rancho de los Palos Verdes from 1840 to 1888. The collection consists of three handwritten volumes: the first, a grantee/grantor index, and the other two, abstracts of title changes, court proceedings, mortgage actions, and tax assessments. Together these trace the checkered history of land ownership from the Sepulveda family to Jotham Bixby, the rancher who eventually sold the acreage to Frank Vanderlip in 1913. The original partition map of September 1882, which drew boundary lines for ranch divisions, is also part of this collection. Because of the fragility of these volumes, they are available for viewing only on a microfilm copy. Both the film and a printed finding aid, created in 1940, can be seen in the Local History Room.