- Local History
- About Us
Explore and More: The World at your Fingertips
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Visit libraries and museums around the world. Watch operas and Broadway musicals from your couch. See animals at the zoo without any crowds. Stay fit while the gyms are closed. And get self care tips to aid your mental health. We may all be inside right now, but the world is at your fingertips to explore and more.
Check back often as we update these pages with new finds just for you!
For more information on COVID-19 and our community, visit our dedicated page https://www.pvld.org/coronavirus
Live cams from all over the world featuring animal sanctuaries for elephants, cats, dogs, horses, ocean life, and farm animals.
Choose from ten different live cams at the aquarium including Moon Jellys, Sea Otters, Penguins, the Aviary, the Kelp Forest, and more.
Watch the Humboldt penguin colony anytime, anywhere.
Choose from nine different live cams including condors, polar bears, tigers, apes, and, more!
Free videos on Youtube featuring workouts, meditations, yoga with kids, and nutrition/cooking tips you can do at home.
Need someone to talk to? Helplines & Resources has free numbers with real people on the line for veterans, people in crisis, emotional distress, who may be suicidal, or suffering substance abuse.
On demand free 20-60 minute yoga workouts and meditations for a variety of skill levels.
For an introduction to mindfulness meditation that you can practice on your own, download the UCLA Mindful App (iTunes / Google Play), stream, or download the guided meditations at the link Recorded by UCLA MARC's Director of Mindfulness Education, Diana Winston.
With just your library card, access workout videos, books, music, and more!
Free app available from the Apple App Store and Google play which teaches cognitive behavioural therapy techniques for improving mental health
On demand videos for group classes including Bootcamp, Yoga, Active Older Adults, and Youth Sports performance. Normally behind a paywall, the YMCA has made these videos free for everyone.
The national library of England, the British Library is home to pieces throughout history such as illuminated manuscripts of the 8th to 15th centuries and music written by Bach himself.
Highlighting a different part of their archives everyday, check out never before released material from the Grammy Museum. Each day fits a different theme from the museum's mission as below and staff will share daily playlists on Spotify.
- SUNDAY AND TUESDAYS: MUSIC EDUCATION LESSONS AND ACTIVITIES
- MONDAY, WEDNESDAY, AND SATURDAY: OPENING OUR PUBLIC PROGRAM ARCHIVES
- THURSDAY: MEMBER ENGAGEMENT NIGHTS
- FRIDAY: AT-HOME EXHIBIT EXPLORATION
Explore the digital collections of the largest library in the world with items including the Declaration of Independence and the Civil Rights History Project.
Visit the museum's exhibition rooms and galleries, contemplate the façades of the Louvre.
The first museum dedicated to Modern Art in Manhattan invites you to view their online galleries and even zoom in on some favroties like Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night and Georges Seurat's The Channel at Gravelines.
Explore 889,967 items digitized from The New York Public Library's collections including photography collections, manuscripts from James Madison and Thomas Jefferson, and book art and illustrations.
Explore collections from the 19 different Smithsonian Museums, ranging from Dorothy's ruby slippers at the National Museum of American History to the Command Module from Apollo 11 at the National Air and Space Museum.
A Smithsonian museum, the National Museum of Natural History lets you walk the halls of their galleries with a virtual tour!
Head to Vatican City and visit the Sistine Chapel, Raphael's Rooms, and the New Wing.
Featuring over 3,000 miles of wall, this virtual tour lets you explore a small snippet from Jinshanling to Simatai.
NOAA takes you on deep sea dives in American Samoa, the Florida Keys, and lots of ocean inbetween.
All our national parks are closed to help encourage social distancing but you can still explore their main attractions from the safety of your home. Park tours include Yellowstone National Park (Old Faithful!), Volcanoes National Park (Hawaii!), Kenai Fjords National Park (Glaciers!), and more.
This live feed from Manitoba’s Churchill Northern Studies Center let's you tune in to the Northern Lights when they decide to show themselves (and when they don't). Luckily we're in prime time for the Northern Lights, late winter to early spring.
Explore colorful street art and the world' best graffiti from around the world.
While Disneyland is closed, try some of these videos! It's like being at the front of the line every time.
Artists around the world perform monologues they learned and rehearsed only 24 hours earlier.
A list of live virtual concerts from a variety of artists. This list is created and updated daily by NPR
Streaming a different performance at 4:30pm for twenty hours, everyday.
The National Theatre in London is streaming a different play every week on their YouTube channel starting April 2nd with the online premiere of "One Man Two Guvnors".
Use your lirbary card and Hoopla to watch Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters in the original Boardway production of the Stephen Sondheim musical based on the book by James Lapine.
The Vienna State Opera is streaming both operas and ballets previously recorded. A different performance every day, available for 24 hours after the premiere.
- Ear Hustle Get a glimpse into life in prison and after from current and former inmates at San Quentin prison (Lessa, Adult Services Assistant Manager)
- Good Job, Brain! Quiz show and "offbeat trivia" podcast (Tim, Adult Services Librarian)
- Dolly Parton's America A musical rethinking of some of Dolly's most famous songs. (Megan, Young Readers Librarian)
- Hidden Brain Shankar Vedantam uses science and storytelling to reveal the unconscious patterns that drive human behavior, shape our choices and direct our relationships. (Louise, Young Readers Librarian, Assistant Manager - Teen Services)
- Meet the Composer Beautifully produced profiles of contemporary composers - the episodes with Henry Threadgil, Pauline Oliveros and John Luther Adams are especially recommended (Chris, Librarian)
- Retronauts Classic video game history show (Tim, Adult Services Librarian)
- Rivals The hosts break down some of music's greatest rivalries. The Michael Jackson/Prince episode is amazing. (Megan, Young Readers Librarian)
- The Soundtrack Show Composer, voice actor, & sound designer David W. Collins analyzes the soundtracks for your favorite films (Tim, Adult Services Librarian)
- Spycast All about spies featuring interviews with ex-spies, intelligence experts, and espionage scholars (Marisa, Young Readers Assistant Manager)
- Steg-Man and His Amazing Friends Marvel artist Ryan Stegman sits down with friends from the industry to give fans an insider’s view on all things comics. (Dustin, Senior Page)
- This American Life Stories on a theme every week that offer a glimpse into what American life around the country is like (Laura, Adult Librarian)
- You Must Remember This For movie lovers, a podcast dedicated to exploring the secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood's first century (Leti, Adult Services Manager)
Podcasts for all ages from kids to adults from the website Here Wee Read: Contemporary Living for Book Loving Families
Enjoy the history of baseball with Ken Burns' 1994 documentary available for free from PBS.
Watch every 2018-2019 Major League Baseball game. You'll need to create an account but no credit card is required.
Watch an assortment of the greatest Major League Baseball games in history for free on YouTube.
The National Basketball League is offering their League Pass for free through April 22, 2020. Stream full length and condensed replays of all games from the 2019-20 season, as well as an expansive archive of classic games and content. You'll need to create an account but no credit card is required.
The National Football League is offering their Game Pass for free through May 31, 2020. Stream game replays from 2009-2019 and NFL original shows. You'll need to create an account but no credit card is required.
The National Hickey League a curated collection of NHL Original Productions content, from the critically-acclaimed, behind-the-scenes programs "Road to the NHL Winter Classic," "Behind The Glass" and "NHL All Access" to full-length classic NHL games dating from the 1950s to present day. All available for free on Youtube.