- Local History
- About Us
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
Updates to your library account
Due to the spread of COVID-19, the library will be closed until further notice. We have taken a number of steps to ensure your library account is not negatively affected by this. We have:
- Updated all items currently checked out to be due April 30, 2020
- Holds on library materials are not being accepted at this time
- All current holds will remain in the queue and will be available once the library reopens. If you had an item on hold, it is still on hold for you.
- We are waiving all overdue fines and fees during the closure
We appreciate your patience as we work through this challenging time.
Library Access from Home
We have many digital resources you can access 24/7, no matter where you are. All you need is your library card number and PIN.
Read eBooks and listen to audiobooks on OverDrive. Stream movies and TV shows on Kanopy and Hoopla.
Check out digital magazines via Flipster. Stream and download music on Freegal.
Kids and learners of all ages can get one-on-one homework help and tutoring from 1 – 10 pm every day on Brainfuse,
plus lots of other resources for school and careers that are available at all hours.
Community Website Links
LA County Dept of Public Health
City of Rancho PV
City of RHE
California Department of Public Health
World Health Organization
Torrance Memorial Covid-19 Response
Providence Hospital - Your Hub For Coronavirus Resources
Message From the Director
Updated Message March 20, 2020
Dear Library Patrons,
Yesterday the Los Angeles County Department of Health issued a Safer-at-Home order effective midnight March 19, 2020. Governor Newsom gave all citizens the directive to 'stay at home" in an effort to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus. This order will be in effect until April 19, 2020. Given this new directive, the Palos Verdes Library District is adjusting it's announced closure from "Closed until April 6, 2020" to "Closed until further notice." It is our intent to open our doors as soon as possible, but we need to be mindful of the ever-changing situation surrounding us. We thank you for your understanding and we hope to see you all soon!
Dear Valued Patrons,
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and to be in alignment with the Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District, all PVLD branches will be closed until Monday, April 6, 2020.
The spread of COVID-19 is an unprecedented event that threatens the health and safety of our family, friends and neighbors, and public agencies across our nation have been forced to take quick action. Sadly, that action here is to close our libraries with the goal of stopping any potential spread of exposure to the virus.
We do not take this decision lightly and know it will have some negative effects, but keeping our patrons, staff and volunteers safe continues to be our number one priority. PVLD will continue to monitor the guidance of public health authorities and provide support to those efforts in every way possible. The library will post any updates to our site.
In order to maintain a safe environment and address patron and staff concerns, we are taking precautionary measures with the following:
- All library branches are closed to the public through April 5, 2020.
- All programming events at all PVLD branches are cancelled.
- The Friends of the Library book sales at all PVLD branches are cancelled.
- We are NOT accepting donations of any kind until further notice.
Some things that will be helpful to patrons during this time:
- No late fees will accrue.
- All due dates have been extended to April 30, 2020.
- All existing holds will be waiting for you when we re-open and will be available for pick-up beginning Monday, April 6, 2020.
- No new holds will be processed.
Staff are working on policies and online services for our patrons so please check back regularly. Sign up for the library newsletter at www.pvld.org/newsletters/library to stay updated. Online services are available 24/7 at www.pvld.org.
Here are some steps you can take to protect yourself and prevent the spread of the virus:
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly for 20 seconds at a time (which is roughly the time it takes to sing "Happy Birthday" twice) and use alcohol-based hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available.
- Cover your mouth with a tissure -- or your upper sleeve when tissues are not available - when you cough or sneeze, and wash your hands afterward.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Practice social distancing.
Find out what's happening in our community:
- City of Palos Verdes Estates
- City of Rancho Palos Verdes
- City of Rolling Hills Estates
- County of Los Angeles Public Health
Stay current with the lastest updates on COVID-19:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- U.S. National Library of Medicine
- World Health Organization
On behalf of the entire PVLD staff, I thank you for your patience and understanding during this difficult time.
Kids' Activities at Home
Our staff has created a list of library and online resources for kids to use from home.
There are 4 sections to choose from:
Kids Book & Author Activities
Crafts and Activities
PVLD's Young Artists & Authors at Home
Are you writing or creating art while you are home? The library would love to showcase your work online.
Submit your work below and check us out each day to see all of the amazing new submissions.
Explore and More: The World At Your Fingertips
Check our our Explore and More: The World At Your Fingertips page curated by our staff just for you.
Visit libaries and museums around the world. Watch operas and Broadway musicals from your couch. See animals at the zoo without any crowds. Stay fit while the gyms are closed. And get self care tips to aid your mental health. We may all be inside right now, but the world is at your fingertips to explore and more.
Check back often as we update these pages with new finds just for you!